Sunday, August 16, 2015

Preparing for My First Day Teaching

    My first day was supposed to be tomorrow, but there is currently no running water in the village so there won't be school tomorrow. Last year, the school was open without water for six weeks. This year the Education Commissioner of Alaska implemented a new rule that if there is no water, there is no school.
    It will be nice having one extra day to plan, but I was also really excited for the year to start. I am teaching 9-12 Social Studies. I have 6 PREPS! My schedule is: Leadership, Physical Education (seriously), Sociology, US History, Test Prep and Government. There are around 40 kids enrolled in the high school as of today, my class size ranges from 13-28 students. 

On Saturday we had a back-to-school picnic where we gave away backpacks and had hotdogs for students and their families. It was really cool getting to meet a bunch of people and a few of my students. I played volleyball with some of the girls for a while. The gym was mostly being used by the men in the village who were playing basketball. People here are crazy for basketball and are good at it too. Kids that barely come up to my waist can dribble circles around me. 

Here are some pictures of my classroom:
Yes, I believe I do have the first Smartboard ever invented. Other teachers tell me to think of it as a "glorified projector."


    I hope school starts on Tuesday! I'm as ready as I can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment